Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

I picked up this book expecting to find another hilarious read from Christopher Moore, and it was to a certain extent, but then I felt his need to not offend and his desire to please all audiences hindered this. Comedians can't please everyone, somebody has got to be insulted. This book did that, and in those times when our standard characters, like angels, start screaming at a TV while watching wrestling....yes, it was funny. But when the book began to take a serious side towards the end of Jesus' life, I felt that the author felt he couldn't entertain further and the book began to feel like deja vu (yes I know the gospel stories, I don't need to hear them again). The scene where a guard is stabbed is very Monty Python-esc. Allusions like this appear throughout the book, and although mostly lighthearted and enjoyable, I felt the serious sides did not pander to the comedy I expected. I'd end with a quote but the closest funny one is a bit inappropriate.

1 comment:

  1. ...as is always the case with Christopher Moore. I agree, I think he is more comfortable with Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete